If you are a renter, you are most likely aware of the blinking smoke alarms in every room of your house
or apartment. But your landlord is responsible for more than just fire protection. If you rent a place,
the first day you enter your new abode, there should be a rectangular, white alarm that is not for smoke detection. The alarm you should see is a carbon monoxide alarm which is installed in order to alert tenants to the presence of dangerous levels of CO2 gas.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and invisible gas known as the “silent killer.” It is up
to you to leave your home upon the sound of the alarm, but it is up to your landlord to provide you
and your family with the proper protection from the start.
It is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure the following in regards to CO2:
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed from carbon monoxide exposure due to the negligence of a landlord, contact the Sheboygan personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (920) 459-8000 to learn more about your legal options