Magnets have long been used as educational tools, teaching kids about magnetism and poles. However, cheaper rare-earth magnets have allowed toy manufacturers to begin using these tiny albeit powerful magnets in children’s toys. Sadly, though, these magnets can fall out of the toys, allowing them to be swallowed by innocent, unsuspecting children.
There have already been 15 million recalls for dangerous children’s toys containing magnets. If your child has suffered due to a magnetic toy or otherwise defective product, you should fight back in order to discourage future use of these hazardous items. To discuss your case, contact an experienced Sheboygan product liability lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, today at (920) 459-8000.
Magnets are typically only harmful if multiple magnetic objects are swallowed. Once in the intestines, these powerful objects can become attracted to each other, obstructing or tearing soft tissue. Possible health problems from swallowing magnets include:
In some cases, the infections or perforation caused by the magnets can lead to death.
Because ingested magnets can cause a variety of health problems, you should look for general signs of abdominal discomfort, such as:
You can also ask your child if he or she has been playing with any toys containing magnets, and you can check these toys to see if they are missing any pieces.
Toy and game manufacturers are responsible for checking all toys for choking hazards as well as other dangers, such as magnets. If they fail to properly attach magnets to the toy or do not label the toy as containing magnets, it can harm your innocent children. If your son or daughter has suffered due to ingesting a loose magnet from a toy, contact a dedicated Sheboygan product defect attorney from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (920) 459-8000 today.