Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, and highly toxic gas. Typically, people consider carbon monoxide as a pollutant, even though small amounts of it are naturally occurring. It is unwanted around humans, although it has several industrial uses, including aiding in the synthesis and the purification of other chemicals.
Carbon monoxide can exist in the average person’s home without his or her knowledge. It is formed through partial combustion of fuel sources, including:
Many appliances and machines found around the average home utilize combustion to fuel their various functions. Examples of these machines include furnaces, boilers, cars, fireplaces, and generators. Proper ventilation is necessary when any of these devices is being used because of the dangers posed by CO.
It is recommended that everyone obtain, install and maintain a carbon monoxide detector in his or her home. Smoke detectors do not function in the same manner as these instruments, and so a separate monitoring system is necessary to track the CO levels inside a building and alert those present if the concentration of carbon monoxide becomes dangerously high.
Carbon monoxide is responsible for thousands of deaths in the United States each year. Take steps to ensure that you do not become one of these many unfortunate people. Make sure that all areas of your home are well ventilated. Maintain your appliances to ensure that they are working properly. Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning. These include dizziness, headache, and nausea. Because carbon monoxide is undetectable outside by human senses, know that if you begin to experience any of these symptoms, you may be exposed to this dangerous gas and need to evacuate the area.
If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide due to faulty appliances inside your home, do not hesitate to contact the Sheboygan personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (920) 459-8000.