Property owners are responsible for installing fire alarms on their property in order to protect guests from any fires. However, this is also important for alerting people of any smoke nearby. Smoke from fires actually causes more fatalities than the flames themselves.
Smoke inhalation can destroy your lungs and make it difficult to inhale oxygen. Sadly, an estimated 50 – 80% of fire deaths are the result of smoke inhalation, not burns. If you have suffered from smoke injuries due to a careless property owner, you should fight back against this act of negligence. Contact a Sheboygan personal injury attorney from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today at (920) 459-8000 to discuss your case.
This byproduct of fires occurs as the flames consume both the air and the material fueling the fire. Fires consume oxygen, leaving behind superheated gases like carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Additionally, sometimes the material burning can let off toxic fumes. Not only can the gas burn your lungs, but the toxic fumes can expose you to dangerous chemicals. Smoke also usually contains particulates.
Although it is probably obvious whether or not someone has inhaled smoke, the symptoms of the victim can indicate the extent of the damage. Signs of smoke inhalation include:
Smoke inhalation may require specialized oxygen treatment or bronchoscopy, or the suctioning away of debris from the interior of the lungs. This treatment can be physically, mentally, and financially costly.
If a premises owner has ignored a property’s basic needs, such as a functioning fire detection system, it can put you and your loved ones in harm’s way. If you are a victim of a careless premises owner, you may be entitled to financial compensation to help you with your pain and suffering. To learn more about your legal options, contact a qualified Sheboygan personal injury lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (920) 459-8000 today.